Filing for Bankruptcy
We are highly experienced in Bankruptcy Law and have been helping clients for almost 30 years get through the process. Below are some resources that will be helpful in this process. Other talk about problems – we solve them!
Filing for Bankruptcy? Let Us Help You.
We are your best choice in bankruptcy filings. We have successfully filed and completed thousands of bankruptcy cases.
As your bankruptcy attorney, our goal is to immediately stop creditor harassment, lost wages and lost properties. We want to enable you to get a fresh start, rebuild your credit, and set you on your way to a steady financial footing.
Solid Client Testimonies. We invite you to check out our Client Testimonials page to see the many lives we have touched over the years. We understand that not all cases are the same so all our clients get a personalized assessment and evaluation to determine the best path forward towards a new start.
Convenience. We are flexible with our schedules and we will try to fit you in whether it’s early mornings or late afternoons. Please visit our Contact Us page to get in touch with us!
Knowing When to File for Bankruptcy
Everyone’s situation is different, so you should carefully explore options in dealing with long-term financial problems. Consult a professional to evaluate your case and seek alternatives such as credit counseling, financial coaching, negotiating with creditors, credit card consolidation, loan modification, and loan refinancing. We are highly experienced in Bankruptcy Law and we can help, please fill up the Contact Us form for a free consultation!
Preparing to File for Bankruptcy
Regardless of which type of bankruptcy you are suitable for, below is the list of the minimum required documentation.
- Income tax returns for the past 2 years.
- Pay stubs for the past 6 months.
- Proof of other income.
- Copies of the most recent statements of all financial accounts (banks/investments).
- List of assets.
- Most recent mortgage statements.
- List of judgments and lawsuits
Additional documentation may be needed depending on your situation, for a more thorough assessment, please schedule a free consultation with us!
Typical Bankruptcy Process
Here is a typical bankruptcy process and what steps are involved:
- Start off by meeting with us.
- We will evaluate all options, including non-bankruptcy (borrowing, refinancing, loan modifications, home equity loans, debt consolidation, etc.) options.
- Make a decision on the course of action.
- If bankruptcy is the option, do we consider Chapter 7, Chapter 11 or Chapter 13?
- Complete consumer credit counseling.
- After filing the case, attend a meeting of creditors, presided over by a court appointed bankruptcy trustee. Occurs about 30 days after filing.
- Complete course in personal financial management.
- Obtain a bankruptcy court-issued discharge approximately 90 days after filing.
- Monitor your credit report.
What shouldn’t you do if you have financial problems and are thinking of bankruptcy?
- Do not try to resolve it on your own directly with the creditors. Creditors are not your friends, they will give you advice that helps them, not you.
- Do not borrow from third parties, family or friends; borrowing only increases your debt load and payments and rarely solves your financial problems.
- Do not withdraw money from your retirement account such as IRA’s and 401(k)’s without first seeking professional advice; there can be major negative income tax consequences.
- Do not start on a loan modification until you have first sought outside professional advice; loan modifications are complicated; it is very difficult to get the best deal on your own or by using family or friends or other non-professionals.
We are conveniently located in central Fairfax, VA.
We understand that your time is precious, so we will try to accommodate you even during early mornings or early evenings (by special appointment).
Read more about what our clients are saying about us:
I have used John Sawyer off and on for the last 15 years. He solved a very difficult issue that I had with the IRS in an OUTSTANDING MANNER. He recently helped me with a bankruptcy and potential home foreclosure and again his professionalism and knowledge of the subject was outstanding.
Mr. Sawyer is very professional and knowledgeable with the services he provides. I would highly recommend his services, he doesn’t give you over promises but is very upfront with you.Ben
Mr. Sawyer had been an incredible resource for me as I had to navigate through a complicated tax situation and Chapter 13 filing. He kept me informed throughout the full process, helped me to stay in the plan throughout the 5 years and ultimately assisted me in having successfully completed the plan.
I highly recommend him and trust him to resolve any situation. He has a respected reputation with the court and this was critical in reaching successful solutions to challenging circumstances.
Client (Feb 2015)
You can read more reviews and feedback in our Client Testimonials page.
Where are here to help!
We are highly experienced in bankruptcy law, consumer bankruptcy, and individual bankruptcy. We help you stop foreclosures, garnishments, liens, and repossessions. We walk you through every step of the way with pragmatic and sensible approaches.
We serve most of Northern Virginia: Fairfax County, Fairfax City, Prince William County, Manassas City, Manassas Park, Fauquier County, Loudoun County, Stafford County, Alexandria City, Arlington County, and Falls Church.
Our regular office hours are Monday to Friday from 9am-5pm but we can also accommodate you as early as 6am or as late as 8pm by special appointment.
Contact Us for Free Consultation
Call us at (703) 893-0760 for a free phone consultation or complete the online form and we will get back to you soon! Hablamos Español.Click to Complete Online Form
Share this Post